Beckman Coaching Program

 I'm taking an online course for Dog Trainers.

Which course?

How did I choose the course?

Why am I taking the course?

Do I have any experience?


I have been watching dog training videos on Youtube since we got our Golden Retriever (Sam) a year and a half ago.  If you haven't checked...there are a LOT of videos, many different philosophies, many different methods, and many different personalities in involved.


Why am I taking the course?  

  1. To improve my knowledge base and experience when training dogs.  
  2. I have a thought that having a sideline when I retire (soon) will be a way to keep myself engaged, learning, and contributing.
  3. Sam is here now and needs more training.  Coaching level instruction is detailed and (ideally) evidence and experience based.
How did I choose the course?

  1. I am looking for an instructor who appears to have had success training dogs.
  2. I am looking for someone who is self aware enough to recognize and acknowledge when there is uncertainty in the training approach or methodology.  In essence, "they don't always need to be right".
  3. The instructor must have ethical and disciplined people and client skills.
  4. I look for logical and evidence based explanations of the methodology.
Do I have the experience needed to evaluate the offerings? Yes but limited...

  1. I am s student of critical thinking.  I work to be unbiased.  As a professional engineer I have to assess situations on their merits and be impartial.
  2. I have bred, raised, and trained border collies to herd sheep.  I have trained other handlers with the dogs that I sold to them and helped fellow handlers with their training. 
Which Course?  Beckman's Dog Training "Beckman Coaching Program".   Link

Why?  Because so far, Joel Beckman has satisfied my criteria (above) and has presented himself in a credible and accountable fashion.  Now it is up to me to listen, and assess what I hear through the lens of neutrality, critical thinking, and personal ethics.

Let's go.


 





Comments

Popular Posts